Toyota Pre-Collision System
The Toyota Safety Sense™ package has received lots of respect from Los Angeles drivers, and it’s easy to see why. The features included track movement in your surroundings, and many can even intervene to prevent collisions! Among these top-rated safety features is the well-known Toyota Pre-Collision System. It works by using a front-facing camera and an invisible laser to detect objects in your path and alert you when it’s time to brake. When necessary, it will automatically bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
How Does the Toyota Pre-Collision System Work?
You know what the Toyota Pre-Collision System does, but how does it actually function on your day-to-day drives around the West Hollywood and North Hollywood areas?
- Like we’ve mentioned, a Toyota model with the Pre-Collision System comes with a front-facing camera and an invisible laser.
- It uses these components to measure the distance between your vehicle and whatever obstacle is directly in front of you.
- Taking your speed into account, the system determines the likelihood of a collision.
- If it determines that a collision is likely to happen, your Toyota will send out an audiovisual alert to notify you of the danger. You should manually apply the brake as soon as possible.
- If you do not slow or stop your vehicle, the Toyota Pre-Collision System may apply the brakes automatically or deploy them at full force with brake assist.
While this technology is innovative, Los Angeles-area drivers will have to pay attention to their driving. However, with the Toyota Pre-Collision System, you can enjoy added protection against the inevitable surprises that can occur on the road.
Toyota Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
There are several different versions of the Toyota Pre-Collision System available. With Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS P) or Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0) – the most common versions of the package – the Toyota Pre-Collision System also includes Pedestrian Detection.
With Pedestrian Detection, an additional grille-mounted system uses millimeter-wave radar to check your surroundings for smaller objects that the PCS may miss. By examining the motion, shape, and size of the smaller object, the PD system can identify vulnerable people and apply the brakes as necessary.
Which Toyota Models Offer the Pre-Collision System?
Today, Hollywood drivers can access the Toyota Pre-Collision System in an extraordinary variety of new Toyota vehicles. For the 2019 and 2020 model years, PCS is either standard or available in each of the following models:
- Crossovers, SUVs, and Minivans: C-HR, Land Cruiser, Highlander, Highlander Hybrid, RAV4, RAV4 Hybrid, Tundra, Sequoia, Tacoma, Sienna
- Cars and Hatchbacks: Avalon, Avalon Hybrid, Camry, Camry Hybrid, Corolla, Corolla Hybrid, Prius, Prius Prime, Prius c, Yaris Hatchback
What Features are Included with Toyota Safety Sense™?
Depending on which model and model year that you choose, there are three Toyota Safety Sense™ packages available with your purchase. Here are the features included with the newest and most comprehensive version, Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0):
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD)
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)
- Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) or Full-Speed Range DRCC
- Road Sign Assist (RSA)
The most common package is the Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS P), which includes most of the features listed above, minus LTA and RSA. Toyota Safety Sense™ C (TSS C) only includes PCS, LDA, and AHB, but there are only a few models that still offer this package. Talk to an expert before you buy to ensure you’re getting all of the features you want.
Upgrade with Toyota Safety Sense™ Today!
It’s never been easier to find a new Toyota vehicle with superior Toyota Safety Sense™ features. Check out our inventory and reach out to schedule a test drive! In the meantime, you can learn about ToyotaCare Plus, apply for financing and explore other exciting Toyota technology features, like Entune™.